Saturday, June 20, 2009

Technology meets Fly fishing

The days of the Bamboo rods and single crank fly reels are still around for the purists of fly fishing. But technology and physics has come a long way and it has found us, the fly fishermen. After breaking BOTh of my LL Bean rods, I went to Beans and they replaced them without question and I thank them for that. They were knowledgeable, courteous and pleasant to deal with. The best thing that happened, was that I had the opportunity to try different rods in the collection at Beans. I tried everything from a 2 pc to a 6 pc, 7.5' to 9'and boron, sage, loomis and all parts in between. I finally settled on a pair of 4 pc rods. I paid the difference and am very happy with my choice. But the interesting aspect of this shopping was all the materials used, how they are put together and so forth. You can actually pick the blank you want, style, type and color of eyelets, where they are spaced and whatever you want is available. These are only the basics of choice, you can spend hours just selecting what you want and it will be created for you. Then you can decide if you want to use it for Bass, trout, pan fish or salt water. It is really amazing how far we have come from alder sticks and grocery store string.Technology has given us so many choices. Then add in the actual physics of how all these components work together and you can have quite a time making your choices.
When I was a teenager I had a rod made for me. It was a gift to me for doing some work for an elderly fellow in Weld. He only asked me where I fished and how good I was at it. He custom crafted a rod for me that has stood me well all these years. It ia absolutely beautiful, 8'5 ' fugi eyelets, in a color I like and complete with an extra tip and cloth case.Each of his rods came with an extra tip. He never asked me about weights, lengths or anything. He made all those choices from what he asked me. It is signed by the crafter and my name on the case. Now you cant beat that anyway you look. This man has since passed on to the the great flyfisherman's reward, but his name was Newt Masterman. He is/was a local legand in rod crafting. He made rods that lasted and caught some serious fish. He was always available for advice on how, what where etc on rods. He did not make many, maybe 2 or 3 a year but they are classics. If by some chance you have a Masterman rod, you has a jewel and a classic in the Maine fishing world.Anyone in the area who fished a lot had one. They are not well known but still classics in their own world. Mine has since been passed one to another fisherman, but I still miss that rod. And oh! the stories that rod could tell. The world can move on to bigger and better things. Technology and physics can meet and create the world's greatest but for me I will stick with the basics. I firmly believe that it is the fisherman not the rod and reel that make things happen. If anyone has a Masterman that is for sale let me know I want to get a pair for the grandsons.
Enough said about rods, technology and physics of fly fishing I am sure that each of you have a favorite with a nice combination of choices and has made an excellent selection. But I thought that maybe it was time that I mention some of the technical stuff of fly fishing. Once in awhile I get brainy but most of the time I am in it for the fun. If I go too far it will take all the fun out of chasing trout and salmon so I will return to what i know best---- Rangeley, Kennebago and catching fish Until later see you on the water, I'll be the one on the slippery rock Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment