Monday, June 8, 2009

First Blog

–The week is now over and believe it or not I did get a chance to go fishing! Of course it was on the Kennebago river.

I spent an hour or so going through the fly box trying to find something that would work, when all of a sudden My fishing partner Jim hit on a wonder of all wonders. He started taking very reasonable fish on a size 16 elk hair caddis. Here we are in the middle of beautiful salmon water, and of all the fixin’s to do battle with he takes fish on a self tyed caddis.
Luck on dry flies during spring fishing concerns me, but then again I have taken fish during snow storms.
Regardless, these dries really worked. He caught at least 8 or 9 fish, and nice ones too! They took it with gusto. We had a blast wrestling with foot long trout, and not a black fly in sight. It was a little windy and chilly but still fun.

Elk Hair Caddis

Elk Hair Caddis

You probably wont find me fishing without my best friend Jim, between us we can handle any water and any conditions. Speaking of conditions, the complexion of the river has changed some from ice out, a few new scours and few more rips, as well as several really nice places to work streamers and nymphs. I would not try a dropper fly in these waters, as you are apt to catch one on each and then you have trouble.Voice of experience here.

The road from the Rangeley side is a better road to the bridge, the Eustis side is rough but passable. Any rain and it will be 4X4 all the way. The hatches should start this week. BWO are starting and the caddis will be in shortly. A mahogany caddis works really well late evening and an emerger of the same color will cover the rest of the day. Don’t pass up any water cause the trout tend to be in quieter places on the river.

I stopped in to see Diane at Tea pond camps, and she is still scratching her head because a 10 year old kid picked up a 22″ salmon right off the dock the night before on a bobber. Now that is not something you hear about every day. But she said the fishing has been great and fast too. Noel was busy cutting wood so I didn’t get a chance to talk with him, but I trust Diane’s word. Don’t let her good looks deceive you, she knows her stuff and is free to pass along any info!

I am headed in to camp the first week of June, so anyone who has the time let me know. There is always room for one more. There is always an extra sleeping bag and enough food for a small village so come on up. Liquid refreshments are served at about 7 and the camp fire is about 8:30. There are NO openings at the camps but there is always the couch in the Main lodge. Guides are available (me) and I would expect a serious amount of fish will meet us at the dock too. Call the camps for local and immediate fishing info. Jim will even tye some “special” flies just for Tea pond. They have worked so far, so have faith brothers. Anywhere there is water there has got to be fish!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment