Monday, June 8, 2009

its Kennebago Joe returning from “up country”

I took another week to do some "field testing".The week is up and I am back from the Kennebago. I spent the first night in my camper at 4 corners and awoke to snow everywhere and cold. That bothered me a little but the fish seemed to like it. Breakfast was fried potatoes and 2 12″ brookies, not bad for a start. I headed over to Tea Pond camps where I stayed the week. Fish were everywhere and nice ones too. I saw 19 and 20″ salmon, anything from 6″ to 20″ brookies and this was just on the river. I didn’t even bother to get into the lake, we were having too much fun on the river. Of course we caught at least a thousand 2″ and 4″ Salmon parr, but they are still fun and each one thinks he is Moby dick. Tea pond gave up some nice action usually right before breakfast and right after supper. Diane and Noel were ready with willing info as always.
It seems that caddis flies no matter what size or color would take a fish and of all things a size 16 Adams was a real big hit. Black Ghost marabou was the salmon special for the week. The usual tri’s and mayflies were everywhere and several standard emerger patterns took serious hits, but the real surprise was a little wet fly that I am sure does not even have a name. It is just olive green antron with a couple of twists of peacock at the head and a sprig of antron for a wing. It didn’t matter if it was dry, wet or even in between. it took fish and these were definitely “net” fish that would land you in serious trouble if you had a 2lb tippet.

All in all it was a great trip. Good relaxing time, good fishing, met some new folks on the river. I did see a novice fisherman take a 20″ brookie on a red trude. I dont know who was more surprized him or the fish. I am going back later in the month for at least a weekend and the passenger seat is always available. I would love to show any of you “MY” kennebago. The road in from the Rangeley side is still your best bet, the Eustis side is swamped with Cianbro and all sorts of construction stuff cause of the wind mill project up on Kibby mt. I stayed at Tea Pond camps so I had to use the Eustis side of the Lincoln Pond road but it was worth it in the long run.

Well gang that is the short story of my week. It was fun, lots of fish and great times were had by all. I did manage to break the tips on both LL Bean rods on fish but I took them to Beans and the gladly replaced them so it back to fishing again. Those folks at customer service are really nice and helpful. Not easily found in this modern day of fast paced everything.

More in a few days but for now I need to get unpacked and tie up some little green “monsters” as we called them. I have more great more stories about King and Bartlett and Spencer stream area too. Long lost to the public but new roads pop up every day. The ole’ Dodge can go almost anywhere.

Keep a bend in the rod and tight lines until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment