Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mother Nature's gifts

Mother nature sure made things easy for us. I am a fly tyer by hobby and trade. Not too bad at it if I do say so. I have tied for LL Beans, several small outfitters and sporting goods stores all around Maine who cater to fly fishermen. There are so many different patterns or "knock offs" of original patterns on the market these days. I try to tye with only real materials and original patterns. they still catch some good fish and fishermen keep coming back so I must be doing something right. I use good materials from suppliers who have good products. I do not use local hair, hides or feathers. I might trade for some wood duck on occasion, but not regularly. I do have to mention that over the years prices have soared for materials. I have continued to use Hobbs hackle in Iowa,Hook & Hackle and Metz necks and saddles for most of my stuff. The others seem to keep reaching for the moon on prices. Of course I buy in bulk so I get a little savings but it still is expensive. I can truthfully say that the only man made material I use is the tinsel and the hook. I feel strongly that the originals were designed for a reason. Carrie Stevens, Joe Stickney and Doc Edson would be amazed at what is on the market today.When it comes to natural materials I have found that one of Mother nature's real gifts to fly tyers is the availability and styles of materials. My favorite material has to be the CDC feathers. These little feathers are an answer to a tyers prayer. They can be bent, folded, stretched and anything else in between.They make wonderful wings for emergers and great trailing husks for top water flies. If you have not tried tying with these feathers, you are missing something special. I make a really nice emerger from CDC feathers. It works and works and works some more. It has not failed me yet. If any of you out there who want a good pattern for emergers or mayflies ,let me know i will gladly give you my patterns. Every fisherman has tried to tye his own but for some reason they never seem to be right. I had a dealer tell me once that the "buggier" the fly looked the better it worked. Well, I guess we all have our preferences.
I spent most of today tying emergers cause I am headed to the Kennebago tomorrow for a little "field testing". My next entry will cover how I did. I am never "skunked" but some days are better than others. I maybe a snob when It comes to fishing the Kennebago, But I truly love this water shed. It has given up some nice fish and there are always more to play with. I have fished the Rangeley area for 50 years and guided it for 40. It is really the land of fishing legends. The Rangeley "square tails" of legend and as the ole' timers call them are still there and there are some of serious weight too. I have snapped off many a 2lb tippet on fish. I know it is silly to use that light stuff but you have to admit it is still fun to fight one on his terms.
One quick note to fishermen out there I tye for the fun and I have a habit of giving away my flies to fellow fishermen. Yes there still is something free in this world. I am not going to fill your fly box for you but i will gladly "donate" some flies to it so you can have some fun. I would like a note or a picture of beauty you catch though.
Well folks this is about it for today. I still have to pack my gear and gas up the truck and then it is off to kennebago. If you are ever in the area and see a 6' 3" dude in a stetson and a van dyke beard, that would be me "KENNEBAGO JOE" I am pretty well known in the area and am always willing to share the pool or rips and will most likely give you the fly I am using . So keep the rod bent, tip up and be safe Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment